Sponsoring of Academic Departments of Greek and Cypriot Studies in Higher Education Institutions abroadThe Special Committee of the Cyprus Ministry of Education, Sport and Youth, responsible for the sponsoring of the Academic Departments of Greek and Cypriot Studies in Higher Education Institutions abroad, announces a call for the submission of applications for the year 2022.
Interested Higher Education Institutions must submit the relevant application form in Greek, which should contain the contact details of the Director of the Department, the IBAN of the bank account that should be on the name of the Institution applying for sponsorship, and a description of the proposed activities of the Institution, according to the requirements. If a Higher Education Institution had received funding in the previous year, a financial report for that year must also be submitted. Applications are evaluated by the Special Committee on the basis of set criteria bearing indicative weights as shown below:
- Teaching related to the Greek and Cypriot academic studies, at a recognized Higher Education Institution, offering programs leading to academic degrees (20%).
- Promotion of Greek Language, not only to people of Greek origin, but within the context of specific programs of study aiming at the promotion of the Greek Language, and the enhancement of the Greek Culture offered by the Higher Education Institution (20%).
- Research activity on Greek and Cypriot Studies (15%).
- Research Publications, publications or other scientific/literary work by students and professors of Greek and Cypriot studies (15%).
- Organization of workshops, conferences, lectures, exhibitions that promote the Greek Language and the Greek Culture (10%).
- Cooperation with the Cyprus Higher Education Institutions (10%).
- Cooperation with the local diplomatic missions of the Republic of Cyprus (10%).
It is noted that applying for sponsorship does not guarantee receipt of sponsorship. The amount of money granted to each Higher Education Academic Department depends on the quality of the activities planned which meet the specific set criteria, the overall activity of the Department, as well as the financial needs of the Department. It is clarified that a new application must be submitted every year.
Sponsorship is also subject to the following:
- The total amount of money approved in the state budget for the specific year.
- The total number of applications submitted to the Cyprus Ministry of Education, Sport and Youth in the specific year.
- The number and quality of the programs and activities planned by the Institution related to Greek and Cypriot Studies.
- The financial needs of the Academic Department/Institution and inability to cover them from other sources.
* Please note that late applications cannot be accepted.